Friday, January 27, 2012

Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves #1)

Title: Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves #1)
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Publication Date: June 8th, 2010
Rating: 3.5 Stars

Adopted by the Alpha of a werewolf pack after a rogue wolf brutally killed her parents right before her eyes, fifteen-year-old Bryn knows only pack life, and the rigid social hierarchy that controls it. That doesn't mean that she's averse to breaking a rule or two.

But when her curiosity gets the better of her and she discovers Chase, a new teen locked in a cage in her guardian's basement, and witnesses him turn into a wolf before her eyes, the horrific memories of her parents' murders return. Bryn becomes obsessed with getting her questions answered, and Chase is the only one who can provide the information she needs.

But in her drive to find the truth, will Bryn push too far beyond the constraints of the pack, forcing her to leave behind her friends, her family, and the identity that she's shaped?
-GoodReads

I can't say that I loved this book. I had a real problem with the romance. Romances where the characters really don't know each other but feel an uncontrollable need to be with each other annoy me. It's just unrealistic and obsessive. Of course when paranormal books are involved you have to give the book a little bit of wiggle room because of outside supernatural influences. I also didn't like how Bryn bossed Chase around. It seemed like she was doing to him what she hated being done to her.

I loved the werewolf world, it feels so realistic. It reminded me a lot of the Mercy Thompson world. As for the characters, Lake ROCKED!!! Who wouldn't love a 15 year old shotgun toting werewolf?! I also loved Devon. Bryn was pretty cool, Chase had a nonexistent personality, and Callum is kinda badass. I loved how his character was portrayed in the last part of the book. I kind of loved him. Speaking of the last part of the book, the ending is epic. It's really cool. If you want to find out what I'm talking about just read it. And another note about the ending,there is no cliff hanger, it feels like a complete book. Everything that the characters set out to do got done. I really appreciated that.

I think this book could have been a bit shorter. As much as I love books, unless their one of my favorites, 400 pages is just too much for me. Overall, besides the puppy dog, brainless romance it was a good book. If you're looking for a werewolf book to read, this isn't a bad one to pick. I enjoyed it despite my grumbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment