Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Christmas Carol

Title: A Christmas Carol
Author: Charles Dickens
Publisher: Signet Classic
Publication Date: October 10, 1984 (first published winter 1843)
Rating: 4 Stars


This is the first Dickens book I've read and I think it was the perfect one to start off with. For starters, it's short, it's only a little over 100 pages (by my copy), and the first part is really funny! I can't even count how many times my sister has read me that first part, Dickens puts a lot of thought into the phrase "dead as a door nail", you'll have to read it to get it. I'm not explaining it well.


I love Scrooge's complete willingness to change the way he is, he sees the way he is and as soon as he gets the chance he has a complete change of heart. I started tearing up when he's begging the Ghost of Christmas Future to tell him that it's not too late for him to change. My favorite Ghost was the Ghost of Christmas Future. In my opinion that's the most powerful part of the book, filled with horror and sadness. It really drives the point home.


By the end of the book I was crying, I couldn't help myself, it was such a great ending. I walked away from that book with a warm feeling in my heart and I intend to read another Charles Dickens book when I get the chance.



Happy (late) Birthday Charles Dickens!

1 comment:

  1. YOU FINISHED IT!!!!! I'm so glad you like it! It is such a powerful story, I also loved how willing Scrooge was to change his ways. A great Christmas book and a great intro to Dickens. Love you review!

    ReplyDelete