Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Little House in the Big Woods (Little House #1)

Title: Little House in the Big Woods (Little House #1)
Author: Laura Ingalls-Wilder
Publisher: Scholastic Books
Publication Date: Published 1960 (first published 1932)
Rating: 4 Stars

Meet Laura Ingalls, the little girl who would grow up to write the Little House books. Wolves and panthers and bears roam the deep Wisconsin woods in the late 1870's. In those same woods, Laura lives with Pa and Ma, and her sisters, Mary and Baby Carrie, in a snug little house built of logs. Pa hunts and traps. Ma makes her own cheese and butter. All night long, the wind howls lonesomely, but Pa plays the fiddle and sings, keeping the family safe and cozy.-GoodReads


I can't believe this is the first time I read this book. I loved it. If your looking for a book about everyday life in the late 1800's you won't find any better than this book. I loved reading about making maple sugar, and smoking meat, and..... just everything. It was absolutly fascinating. I was suprised to find myself laughing at some of the things also, and I don't laugh aloud when I'm reading. My dad asked me if I was laughing because is sounded like my sister tripped over something in the kitchen(CRASH!) or my book. It turned out to be my book.

Life back then was so different than life now. Everything could be used for something and nothing was ever wasted. It's amazing when looking at it from my perspective, someone who lives in a wasteful world. I think that was why she wrote the books. The Industrial Revolution was booming and the world had changed so much, I think she wanted people to remember the way things used to be and give people like us a taste of something we will never see.

Happy Birthday Laura Ingalls-Wilder!

No comments:

Post a Comment